The bail amount established for your particular arrest can greatly determine your ability to get out of jail. Many people are confused by the arrest process and often think the bail amount is simply an arbitrary number. In fact, one of the most frequent questions a bail bondsman in Angleton, TX is likely to be asked is what determines the amount of bail.
There is some flexibility in terms of what the final number will be, often up to the discretion of the court. However there are certain factors that will impact the number that is settled upon. In case you are wondering, here are some of those variables:
- Criminal record: A previous criminal record is likely to impact both the severity of your punishment as well as your bail. Many people assume that a previous criminal conviction will increase their bail. While this is not incorrect, the increase may not be as severe as you think.
- Finances: Part of deciding on a bail amount is based on whether you have the financial ability to actually pay it. Other than under certain circumstances, the bail amount should be realistic given your current financial situation.
- Employment: Having employment is a good way to show that you can pay the bail and that you are unlikely to leave town immediately afterward. It also demonstrates responsibility and can have a favorable impact on the final bail amount. Most of the time, a bail bondsman in Angleton, TX will recommend that you tell the court about your current employment and to explain why if you are currently unemployed.
- Connections to the area: When you are well connected to a community, it tells the court that you are unlikely to skip town after getting out on bail. For this reason, it can help to provide a lot of details about how you are connected to the area of your arrest. How long have you lived in the area? Do you own property? What are your family connections to the region? The truth is that if you are a longtime resident, own some property or have rented for a long time, and have family connections in the area, you can expect to see a reduction in the overall bail amount since you are unlikely to pose a flight risk.
- Severity of charges: Perhaps one of the most important factors in determining bail comes down to what exactly you were charged with. The more severe the crime, the higher the bail amount you can expect to owe.
- Other factors: There are other factors the court will consider as well. Two you need to be aware of is whether the court thinks you will be a threat to public safety once released, and whether you are at high risk of flight. Public safety and knowing you will show up to court are high on the priority list for the court, so keep these two things in mind.
Regardless of what your bail amount is, it is imperative to talk to a bail bondsman in Angleton, TX as soon as possible once arrested. Call Brazoria County Bail Bonds to learn more about your particular bail amount.